Our current president, Inori Roy, will be leaving the city, so the BoR is electing an interim President! Any member in good standing is eligible to run for election. The position requires a time commitment of approximately 15-20 hours per week (though weekly hours may vary), and is compensated at $15 per hour. The term of this appointment will be until the next Annual General Meeting in January of 2019.
Responsibilities of the president include:
- Responding to questions, being in the office on a regular basis and being available to members
- Liaising with McGill HR, PSAC, SSMU, and other external groups and unions
- Attending all meetings, including meetings with Human Resources (for instance, Labour Relations Committees)
- Supporting other executives, overseeing broad union tasks, and planning/chairing executive meetings
- Supporting the chair of the Board wherever necessary in the functioning of the BoR
- Organizing general meetings (special or annual); attending special events when necessary
- Supporting broad union initiatives
- Solving complex issues while maintaining communications with all involved parties
- Running campaigns and long-term projects of the Union
The AMUSE by-laws contain further information about the President’s role!
The election will take place at a special BoR meeting at 6pm on Friday, April 20th in the AMUSE boardroom. If you are interested in running, you can contact Inori directly.
At AMUSE’s Annual General Meeting in January, the membership voted to approve amended by-laws, which can be found here. The changes were minor and primarily consisted of compiling already-existing policies into one up-to-date document. The membership also voted to end AMUSE’s mandate to merge with MUNACA, which was initially approved in 2015. The decision to remove the mandate was a result of changing circumstances since 2015 as well as the joint 2017 decision to indefinitely pause merger proceedings. We also elected our Executive Committee and Delegates to the Board of Representatives!
If you have any questions about the AGM, don’t hesitate to get in touch.
International Workers’ Day (May Day) is celebrated annually on May 1st. This year, AMUSE and AMURE are co-hosting a film screening to honour the event!
Take a break from the end of semester stress to watch Requiem for an American Dream at the AMUSE/AMURE Building (515 av. des Pins O) at 7pm on Monday, April 23rd. There will be snacks!
We will also be sharing other May Day events on our Facebook page closer to the date.